Sunday, August 21, 2011

First Gap Filled

ENTRY 0007


At the time I purchased that issue of Asimov's that I mentioned in Entry 0005, I also filled in the first true gap in my collection.  For reasons that shall be soon revealed, I haven't been able to write about it until now.

This missing item was an issue of Dreamwatch.  Now, this was not the long-running British magazine, but a US edition published by the same publisher (Titan Magazines) beginning in 2004.  As I recall, the US edition ran for 24 or 25 issues before Titan discontinued both the British and American editions and turned the magazine into a website.

The issue that I was missing was Dreamwatch #16, the February 2006 issue.  There is nothing particularly unusual about my missing the issue.  I saw it when it was on the stands.  I merely miscalculated when Dreamwatch #17 would be going on sale.  Most of the time, when I see a new issue going on sale, and I have not picked up the previous issue, I can usually find it at another outlet, because not all stores put out their new magazines at the same time.  This was not the case with Dreamwatch #16, though.  It was one of those rare occasions when every place that normally carried Dreamwatch had issue #17 out before I could acquire issue #16.  (This, by the way, is the usual reason for most of the gaps in my collection -- not paying attention.)

As I have mentioned, I started back on Ebay by doing a number of searches.  Dreamwatch #16 was among those searches.  I contacted one of the sellers, asking the usual question of whether or not she accepted money orders.  She did, and I put the item on my watch list.

A little over a week ago, I decided that I had watched the item long enough, and I clicked the Buy It Now button.  I also sent a message to the seller, asking where I should mail payment.  There was just one little snag.  I got an automated message saying that the seller was a couple of days, and would be contacting me once she returned home.

I already knew what the total amount would be, so I picked up a money order for that amount.  And I waited for a couple of days.  I finally heard from her Friday, and I quickly got the payment ready to mail, and in the mail.

Now, it's a matter of waiting again.  But I have filled one gap completely -- that was the only issue of Dreamwatch that I was missing.


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment