Monday, April 02, 2012

Brand New Toy

ENTRY 0021


Over the weekend, I picked up a new "toy."  It was WordPerfect Office X5 (which I think is their way of saying version 15).  I had been needing to upgrade for some time now.  I was previously using WordPerfect 9.  The computer I originally installed it on ran Windows 95.

The main reason I finally decided that it was time to upgrade was QuattroPro.  A few months ago, for some reason, whenever I opened QuattroPro, I would get a message that said something like, "QuattroPro 9 has stopped working."  A few seconds later, it would close.  I uninstalled QuattroPro, then reinstalled it.  It would work for a while, and suddenly I would be faced with the same message.  I even uninstalled and reinstalled the entire Corel package.  The same thing happened.  Let's just say that I was starting to get a little annoyed at having to do this over and over again.

This past week, one of the weekly specials at Staples was WordPerfect Office X5.  They had it for half of its regular price.  I also had about $9.00 in rewards coupons that I needed to use right away.  I had been thinking about upgrading for some time, and this was as good a time as any to do it, so I finally bought a copy.

Installation was easy, and I've spent a few hours getting acquainted with the new software.  There's some cosmetic differences between the versions, but X5 works the same as 9 did.  I opened files in both WordPerfect and QuattroPro, and the information looked the same as before.  I had burned a CD backup of the spreadsheets for the library, and it might have been around that the time that my problems started.  But there doesn't appear to be any problems with the new software.  At this point, though, I have had it on my computer maybe 72 hours at the most.

I've been taking various written notes.  The next order of business is to start integrating everything into the library records.  And I need to figure out how often I need to burn a backup CD.


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment